Sunday, December 5, 2010

Major Hiccup & Picnic


Well, it’s been a very eventful month! I haven’t written in a while because of some major changes in my life!

For one thing, the owners of the restaurant where I work decided to let my current chef go. Leaving me in charge of the pastry department, by myself! Meaning that, until they found a replacement, I was working 13 hrs a day, 7 days a week!

At the same time, I got a phone call out-of-the-blue from a fashion company who had seen my old design portfolio posted online (thank you StyleSight.com!) and was interested in hiring me for a full-time photography gig! After three interviews, they decided to offer me the job. And even though they were offering it to me for the same money I was making at the restaurant, I decided to take it because I would be working a normal 9-6 schedule, Monday through Friday, with two days off, paid vacations, and health insurance!

When I told my employers I was leaving, they were very surprised and even offered me more money. But I still said no. At that point it wasn’t just about the money. I hadn’t seen my family in a year and a half, I hadn’t seen my friends in months, and the only reason I even saw my boyfriend at all was because we were living together! Also, if I’m going to open my own business in 5 years I need to do a lot of work to come up with a business plan, a product, market research, and… oh yeah, learn how to run a business! Which I would not be able to do with my current schedule. Basically, I needed time even more than I needed money. I was burnt-out and exhausted after only one and a half years in the kitchen!

So, for the sake of the bigger picture (and my sanity), I took the job. It was a tough decision though because, despite the long hours, hard work and almost daily panic attacks, I really did love my work. I’m hoping that after a few months of ‘normal’ work hours and some R&R, I can get a weekend job at a bakery or coffee shop, to keep my hand in and to learn about my other passion:  COFFEE! Not to mention, I’ll be making a little extra money! Yay!

Due to the extreme hours, I’m afraid my diet and exercise went out the window and those 5 pounds I lost in my month of hard work, came back with a vengeance! But all is not lost, we have to accept the hiccups that happen in life and start again! So, I’m working out again and even though I haven’t been running in a month or more, I didn’t experience the same aches and pains I had when I first started! (I’m very happy about that.) It may have to do with my new schedule since I’m running in the evening now, instead of the morning. I feel like I'm more limber and I have more energy, like I could run forever! (Could it be? I’m actually starting to like running?!) Although I strongly recommend not running on a full stomach- it’s a horrible feeling. My only complaint is that if I run too late and then eat, I end up eating right before bed and that’s not good for loosing weight. I’ll have to figure out a better schedule...

So, we win some, we lose some. And now I have more time to write to you, my lovely readers! I intend to start a new series in my blog, writing reviews of coffee shops here in New York! I will start with the most popular shops known for their coffee and then I will explore and broaden my criteria in search of the ideal experience and food. (And coffee of course!)
(This is not my photo, but it's def. my preferred coffee method. The Cuban Coffee Maker)

No comments:

Post a Comment