Saturday, February 5, 2011

Coffee Round-Up!

This is a long overdue Coffee Round-Up from one of my favorite-ist sites in the world, NotCot.org! (Seriously, I'm on there everyday.)

This one deserved it's own vid.  Coffee and Cream ~ Modernist Cuisine shares a little sneak peak of their upcoming book and some fun high-speed video of creamer hitting coffee.



 1. Re-purposed and re-imagined, Starbucks has gone back to basics with the launch of their 15th Avenue E Coffee and Tea store in Seattle. Designed to be eco-friendly. Interesting concept but it seems a little too cookie-cutter for my tastes. You can see more pics and read the rest of the post at Furfin.


2.  From Dung to Coffee Brew With No Aftertaste. Great NY Times article on civet coffee (Kopi luwak). Or, as my family would call it, Cat Poo Coffee! I've never had the opportunity to try this, but I remember when this came out and it was all the rage. Has anyone tried this and would like to comment on it?? Is anyone pro Cat Poo Coffee? Or against?


3.  With the bike sharing scheme happening, London’s Cycle Cafe’s are becoming even more popular as the hangout of choice for cafĂ© and coffee lovers on two wheels. I'm not a huge cycling fan, but I like the idea of combining the bike sharing trend happening in Europe with coffee, and creating a bike friendly space. Maybe this bike sharing thing will catch on here in NY soon??? Dare to dream... Read the article at Your Studio.


4. Maple Bacon Coffee. Ok- I'm including this just to address the food trend going on that seems to include bacon or beer into everything these days. I haven't actually tried this but you can read more about it at The Hungry Southerner. They seemed to give it a so-so review with 1 out of 5 strips of bacon.


5.  Venezuelan designer Enrique Luis Sardi has teamed up with Italian coffee company Lavazza to create a master piece of green design: Cookie cup. Apparently this design goes back to 2003, but I still think it's awesome. As a pastry cook and as a coffee drinker, I'm intrigued... Has anyone tried this? I'm curious to know if the icing interior really is water-proof or if it would eventually dissolve into your coffee. Although I suppose that should be the least of my worries at that point.


6.  Grumpy Bean Plushes~ "Artist Andrew Bell and plush master Lana Crooks bring our Cafe Grumpy coffee bean logo to life!" I just really have to visit and review this place soon!


7.  An info-graphic on how to make the perfect cup of coffee by Plaid-creative. Cool idea, now to try them all! Seriously, I should carry this with me at all times!


8.  I was originally including this article to address the retail coffee trend changing from espresso to drip coffee but now I want to showcase the trend of Dis-Loyalty Cards. This started in East London as a way to market the burgeoning coffee scene. If you visit each of the shops listed on the card, you get a free cup of coffee made for you by the World Barista Champion. Now, this also seems to be a trend catching on in San Francisco, Seattle, and Toronto except that you get a free cup of coffee from the last place you visit. I think it's a very friendly and creative way to encourage the coffee community and I hope it will come to NY soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment