Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Welcome

Welcome to the blog of me, Betty Smart (and sometimes not-so-smart). This is my personal blog recording all of life's little hiccups and picnics. So, you're probably asking yourself why you would possibly care about little ol'Betty Smarty-pants. Well, I'm not too sure about that myself. At the moment my life isn't going so great. Ok, well, it's a flat out mess! But I like to think of myself as a positive person and I've set some serious (dare we say... ambitious?) goals! And I hope they will inspire all of you to make and meet your own "ambitious" goals!


For starters, a little about myself now...
Stats:
  • I live in NYC
  • I am a pastry cook
  • I am about to turn 27
  • I have $75 in my bank account
  • I work 60-80 hrs a week (i.e.- no social life)
  • I am 5'3"
  • I weigh 150 lbs.
  • I am $33,000 in debt
My goals are large and many!
(Please see the 'Goals' tab at the top of my blog if this link doesn't work.)


I know, I know... It's a lot. Especially with my limited free time. You see, a little over a year ago I was laid off from my job, as so many people have been lately, and I decided to take this as an opportunity to take a look around me and explore my options. In the end I decided to switch careers from being a wannabe fashion designer (a.k.a.- personal assistant) to being a pastry cook. I was lucky enough to find an amazing French pastry chef willing to take me on even though I had no experience or education in this field. And I was getting paid too! What I didn't realize was that I would be working twice as many hours and taking a pay-cut of about $10K a year! Not to mention gaining 15lbs. And boy did I feel the changes! I decided to move to a cheaper apartment to save money and ended up moving four times in the last year! Each place worse than the last. Don't get me wrong, I actually love what I do now, even more than fashion! But I feel I traded one set of problems in for another. Did I make a good choice? Time will tell. At the moment, it doesn't seem like it. This has been one of the most difficult years of my life. But I'm hoping that with your help, encouragement and feedback I can make the impossible, possible and not just turn my life around, but make it better than before!

No comments:

Post a Comment