Sunday, January 23, 2011

Once More Into The Breach!

Well, I've been good and lazy for long enough! The time has come to get back in the game and start cooking again.  I have to start looking for a weekend job asap! Either at a bakery or as a barrista at a coffee shop. I'm not happy about working seven days a week but it's a necessary evil.

After several months of saving, my savings account is a whopping $15, I need some clothing essentials, I really should go to the dentist, I must find a new apt., and I really miss cooking. Sigh.


Sometimes I just want everything all at once. And then, trying to do everything at once ends up just making me more exhausted and I end up right where I started. It's so frustrating. But I have to look at the big picture and remember my plan. Taking 3 months to recoup and relax was part of the plan and now that that time is over, it's time to find a weekend job where I can keep learning about cooking and save money at the same time! In theory.

Now all I have to do is find that perfect job in a less than perfect economy.
Baby steps.

And I have to admit that ever since Winter hit, I haven't been exercising at all. The idea of running in the cold night with all that Winter air rushing through my lungs like sandpaper is not appealing. At one point I had gotten down to around 142 lbs! But changing jobs, not exercising, and holiday munchies etc, means I've somehow managed to get up to 158 lbs!! I'm not proud of this at all. I'm still reeling from the shock of it actually. How did I manage to gain almost 20 lbs in 3 months?!

And so, like many people at this time of year, I started looking into detox cleanses and diets etc. Everyone seems to think detox diets are a great way to cleanse your colon, liver, skin, and your body in general. You lose weight, gain energy, the birds are chirping and rainbows are everywhere. However, I did a little research and, according to the nutritionist at Spark, there are not many facts to support these claims. According to her, our bodies are already made to be an efficient cleansing machine. And our bodies are perfectly capable of handling the amounts of toxins etc in the average diet. Any claims of elevated energy and so on are probably a placebo affect (I.E.- our bodies are tricking us). Now there isn't anything that harmful about the juice cleanses, so long as you stay hydrated and get all your vitamins,  but they don't really help you that much either.
Instead, she suggests just eating foods that are more natural (I.E.- there should be only 4 ingredients on the package label), if it can go bad, it's good for you, cut out the alcohol & smoking, and cut back on sodas.

So I tried cutting out my morning milk and cereal or bagel and cream-cheese for a homemade fruit smoothie with flax seed and protein powder. (Supposedly, these will keep you full longer.) I would usually include: 1 banana, 1/2 cup Greek yogurt, 1/2 apple, 1/2 pear, 1-2 handfuls of spinach, 1 Tbsp of flax seeds, 1 scoop of protein powder, and 1/4 cup apple juice. Although maybe the protein powder was overkill considering I already had a good protein in the form of yogurt. It was more than enough for my trusty thermos and it would really keep me full! So full in fact, that I'm actually beginning to think it's making me gain weight! So now I'm conflicted and actually considering going back to my tried and true Slim Fast. It's definitely less hassle to prepare, you just grab a can and go! Though it's probably more expensive. Or maybe I should just eat less of the smoothie, and maybe cut out the protein powder?


What are your thoughts? Slim Fast vs. Au Naturale??

No comments:

Post a Comment